The Book of Mormon (Review)

For my flatmate's birthday a couple of month's ago, the whole flat (plus Jess) headed to Leicester Square to see The Book of Mormon. 

Click here to watch the trailer or book tickets.

My expectations were really low going in but is was right up everybody else's alley so we went! It was the perfect surprise day out :) 
Honestly, I don't know what I thought the storyline was, but it was nothing like I ever expected.
The songs and characters added some great humour and I really like how the songs were a perfect inclusion to the story rather than an unneeded add-on. Having said that, some of the scenes were a little cliche and I think they defintely need toning down a little. 
Having watched multiple Mormon families on YouTube, I feel like I have a strong connection to the faith and know and understand quite a bit about the way that they work and what they believe in. I found it a very interesting and unique perspective, especially in the fact that they included hurdles rather than this vision of a completely giving and generous group of people.
I still probably wouldn't want to see it again because it's not something incredibly special but for the price - good tickets were very reasonable! - it was defintely worth seeing it once. I would defintely recommend it if you're in London, for sure.
One of the wonderful surprises for me was seeing the journey of one of the main characters. I think it actually made the musical quite a rewarding privilege to witness and be able to see play out.
Overall, if you think this review is coming across mixed, it's because it is. I'm totally torn on whether I liked this play or hated it. There were some parts I enjoyed and other's that I thought were vulgar and unnecessary. I think I'm going to have to leave it on a cliffhanger and say, each person is going to have their own feelings on this West End theatre production. You have to decide for yourself.

Comments