The Space Between Us (Review)

Words can't actually convey how obsessed I am with Britt Robertson. I follow her devotedly and research when her films are going to be released and eagerly anticipate the arrival. 

Click here to watch the trailer or see below.
The Space Between Us is a future sci-fi romance movie that could quickly become a future reality. Nathaniel Shepard, CEO of Genesis, launches the first ever mission to colonize Mars. During the journey, the lead astronaut, Sarah Elliot, discovers she is pregnant. Shortly after landing, she dies from complications while giving birth to the first human born on Mars. 
16 years later, her son, Gardner Elliot, has grown into an inquisitive, highly intelligent boy who has only ever met 14 people in his very unconventional upbringing. He’s got a online relationship with cute Tulsa (Britt Robertson) back on Earth but she doesn't have the best life and he feels for her. 
One day, in order to find out more about his mother, he hacks into Centaur, a robot he helped build, to gain access to the ship's storage. Finding a USB drive with a video of her and a man in a beach house, he is convinced it's his father and becomes determined to find him. With help of the other astronauts, he convinces everyone to let him go to Earth and see the planet he only dreams off. 
I think it was actually a really cleverly executed plot. I loved all the different elements that were in place and loved the factual and scientific knowledge. I found it really informative and I loved that it got my brain thinking. I think it was really interesting how everything worked on Mars and seeing how they lived. 

When coming to Earth, all the medical elements that were involved and the worries got my medical student brain thinking. 
The love story between Gardner and Tulsa, quickly turns into an insufferable display of inappropriate sexualisation. I honestly thought there story was gorgeous but these 16 year olds going from talking on the internet to not only meeting each other but having sex on the same is infuriating. Humouredly, I walked out thinking, how the heck has someone who's been on the planet for less than a week got a girlfriend and had sex already when I've been here for 21 years!? LOL.
Together they journey to the other side of America with no money to find his dad. It's the roadtrip of a lifetime for someone who's never been to Earth. Despite his quickly deteriorating condition, Tulsa doesn't seem overly concerned in any way. 
Along the journey we see titbits of information with little crumbs left behind but despite thinking there was something up, I was shocked and overjoyed to learn the true father's character!  
I think despite the difficult situations, it's a remarkably optimistic film. One of the stand out moments was the fact that the original plot is set in 2018! That's next year which is crazy. 

Overall, I did really enjoy the movie. I thought it was really well acted, an interesting a unique story to tell and of course the ending it just beautifully symmetrical.
SPOILER: He ends up going back to Mars with his father but his carer adopts Tulsa and starts training her to go to Mars herself. For the life of me, I can't work out if this is in my head or if this happened but I feel like she's pregnant with his baby now. Ha.


Comments