Sing (Review)

When I saw the trailer for this movie, I immediately wanted to watch it but I was also prepared to be disappointed. After watching Pets and other animated animal films portraying human relationships, I was not getting my hopes up for this masterpieces but I was wrong.

Click here to watch the trailer or see below.
In a world of anthropomorphic animals, koala Buster Moon owns a theater, having been interested in show business since his father took him to his first music show as a child. Following financial problems brought up by the bank representative Judith, he tells his friend Eddie Noodleman that he will host a singing competition with a prize of $1,000. But Buster's assistant accidentally appends two extra zeroes and the promotional fliers showing $100,000 are blown out of Buster's office into the city streets. Animals from all around the city gather for auditions.
The selected auditionees are actually introduced in the scenes before the auditions but in the most incredible way. I was thoroughly amazed by the clever mechanism they used to introduce the lead characters and really impressed with the idea. The camera swoops through the streets of the bustling city streets before zooming in on individuals life stories, then panning out again.
I loved the diversity of each character: housewife and mother of 25 piglets Rosita; street musician money-obsessed mouse Mike; gang leader and thugs son gorilla Johnny; punk-rock porcupine Ash.
The film has so many different messages and it's wonderful to see them intertwine. Shy teenage elephant Meena bombs her audition out of stage fright.
Despite the embarrassment, she has the confidence to come back and ends up wowing everyone of stage.
Ash's boyfriend Lance is dismissed from the contest but takes it out on Ash and ends up cheating on her. Despite the heartache, she comes back stronger and better than ever.
Rosita is paired with another pig contestant named Gunter for a dancing routine. Despite the uncomfortableness, she does everything she can to learn the routine and puts in 100% effort.
More so, the overarching themes throughout are ones of strong will, determination, teamwork and to never give up. I think, especially for children, they are really important lessons to not only teach but to see in action.
When I saw the trailer, it was an overwhelmingly similar storyline to an X Factor episode but still I was excited to see how all the different animals were portrayed. I thought it was going to be hilarious and enjoyable and funny. I was definitely glad they included some funny auditions but focussed on the good acts and there were actually quite a few! What I wasn't expecting was so many extra plots.
The whole financial crisis situation actually pays homage to a lot of people currently in economic burden. I think it was actually really meaningful and added a lot more depth to the story. I loved how it went into little details and I thought it was a lovely addition to the fun loving main idea.

I thought the song choices were fun and both current and relevant. I thought the individual character developments were amazing. I really enjoyed it! 

Overall, I loved this film! I think it's probably one of the best thought out movie's in a long time and I would thoroughly recommend everyone to watch it :)

Comments