The Legend of Tarzan (Review)


I can't even begin to describe how incredible this movie is and I am so glad I saw it on opening night! I'm really loving that all the cartoons and disney movies are being made into the new adult range and slightly scary genre. When I saw the trailer I knew I wanted to see it and I was counting down the days but I didn't expect it to be anywhere near as amazing as it was.

Click here to see the trailer or watch below.

I've loved Margot Robbie's work ever since she played Donna in Neighbours and as an avid watcher - since pretty much birth! - I have followed a lot of the actors and actresses that have left the Australian soap. I feel oddly proud and honoured to have watched her grow and see this incredible actress she has become. This is by far my favourite of her work and in my opinion her best work yet. 

On the other hand, I remember Alexander SkarsgĂ„rd from True Blood and that's all I've ever really known him from. I never found him attractive nor masculine so I struggled when I saw him cast as this role but honestly he is so incredibly perfect for it. I think it's great he's managed to get out of that genre and really excel. I'm still not 100% sold by his romantic side but he was very sweet and I honestly wouldn't be disappointed if he came to my rescue any time soon.... 


I was actually really shocked by the whole film premise. It's set after the events that we know as Tarzan and he has returned home to England where his parents are from and claimed his inheritance, along with their vast wealth. Jane, being no longer an innocent American girl, is strong willed and demands to be heard, refusing to be left behind. I love their connection and how they both interact with one another. It's not traditionally romantic but it's beyond sweet and in it's own way, utterly dreamy. 

Leading on, they return to Africa with the help of a soon-to-be allie. I was shocked to be crying at a lot of the scenes! Tarzan returns to the land where he grew up and sees all his friends, animals and humans alike. Those connections are filmed are shown is such a beautiful way and the interactions are just sublime, especially the lions. From there on it's a powerful story to rescue his girl and and save Africa from slavery.

Having said all that, it's the little moments that make this so special. One of my favourite parts is where he so gracefully swings into a tree to join his beloved. Another, is the detail to his hands and movement and how he explains it to a room of children. I honestly fell in love with this movie in the first 10 minutes. It could have gone on for hours and I would have stayed. 

I loved how they included the flashbacks. Even though we know the traditional story, seeing those moments really brought everything together and credit to the director and writers, they were placed to perfection. Perfectly timed to break up scenes and create the most impactful moments. 

It's so interesting to see how he then goes about succeeding in his mission. He has this incredible willpower and he just won't give up. He does everything in his power, including purposefully getting beat up. I find it awe-inspiring how they have pulled off this movie. With all the animals and battles, it really does make a magical movie. 

If anything, the only complaint I have, and it is an extremely small one, is that it has no 3D parts so don't see it in 3D. I'm not particularly a 3D fan because it doesn't usually add anything either way but unfortunately it was the only timing that ended up working out on the day I went. This one didn't add ANYTHING at all.

It really was one of the best films in a long while and it's made my top 5 movies of all time. I'm secretly hoping my sister wants to see it when she returns from her holiday because I'm already desperate to see it again and craving all the action all over again.

I can't be more positive about this film. Everything about it was just sublime.

5 out of 5, 10 out of 10! Perfect. 

Comments