How To: Wash Make-up Brushes

I didn't wash my brushes for the first 4 years of using make-up and I used the same brushes every single day. It sounds disgusting now but mum never told me and it was only through YouTube that I learnt you were suppose to. To be fair it makes sense because even though I always wash my face just before I use the brushes to put on make-up, and I don't (usually) top it throughout the day, the amount of bacteria that can gather on the brushes must be huge! Especially if you have - TMI! - spots and even more so if they seep sometimes...which mine unfortunately have been known to do.

The first time I washed my brushes it took forever because I had so much make-up to get out of them. Anyway to the point, I have finally found a easy, no fuss and quick method to wash make-up brushes.

I only use Bare Minerals make-up and brushes so all the products are natural meaning delicate. Most brushes are similarly delicate so the shampoo is important.

Equipment:

  • A tray
  • Paper towels (enough for 2 layers)
  • A cup (big enough for the brushes to fit in the opening)
  • Delicate shampoo: I use the Bare Minerals Well Cared For Brush Conditioning Shampoo but you can also use baby shampoo, the more delicate the better!
  • Water


Method:



  1. Fill the cup with warm water.
  2. Add a drop of shampoo. 
  3. Add the brush and swirl, twist and plunge it into the water to get between the fibres.
  4. Leave the brush to soak for 5 minutes or so. 
  5. Once the colour doesn't change anymore remove the brush. 
  6. Then rinse in warm water. 
  7. Add a drop of shampoo directly onto the brush and swirl onto the palm on your hands. 
  8. Continue, and repeat as needed, until the colour doesn't change. 
  9. Rinse. 
  10. Set to dry onto the paper towels.
  11. Reshape when about half way dry. 
  12. Reuse! 
  13. Repeat with each brush.

Comments