The Theory of Everything (Review)

I think I may have fallen in love with Stephen Hawking. 

Firstly, who knew his surname was Hawking and not Hawkins?! Not me... I'm just hoping I don't write it wrong throughout.

The Theory of Everything: A story of the physicist Stephen Hawking and Jane Wilde, the arts student he fell in love with while studying at Cambridge University. Once a healthy, active young man, Hawking received an earth-shattering diagnosis. With Jane by his side, Stephen embarks on his most ambitious scientific work, studying the very thing he now has precious little of: time. Together, they defy impossible odds, breaking new grounds in science and achieve more than they could have ever dreamed. The film is based on the memoir "Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen" by Jane Hawking. (Credit to Rotten Tomatoes) 



Eddie Redmayne is possibly the best actor to have graced the screen in a long time. His incredible dedication is thoroughly appreciated and his commitment to the role is nothing but impressive. To me, he captured Stephen Hawking perfectly (as viewed from the public). Well deserving of a Oscar. The rest of the cast is also supreme. 

This incredible movie showcases Stephen Hawking's humanity and his struggle with facing the motor neuron disease Lou Gehrig's disease. It is a powerful and moving romantic, linked throughout with science and submerged with humour. 

I may have cried once or twice...or 4 times, but this movie has skilful harmony. The sadness when he is diagnosed, to getting married and having children, to the famous quote: "I have loved you.". It highlights the ups and downs of life; Professor Stephen Hawking is a once-in-a-lifetime guy that manages to view the positives in life.

SPOILER ALERT: My favourite seen is the couple with their 2 children - and Jonathan - at the beach. A picture-perfect scene.

I think this film was released at the optimum time. Thinking back to last year, a big craze was the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Starting in America, this worldwide trend consisted of people throwing a bucket of ice cold water over their heads. Supposedly, this was meant to: provide a way to show people how it felt to have the disease; promote awareness of the disease; encourage donations to research. It raised massive amounts of money for the condition, but I had no idea how severe the impact on life could be. This eye-opening film unmasks this.
I loved this movie and cannot wait to watch it again. I would recommend it to anyone.

Moving. Inspirational. Humorous.

________________________________________________

"While there's life, there is hope." - Stephen Hawking



Comments